May 14, 2021
In a live Internet broadcast, Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche discusses 10 lessons he’s learned from “his best teacher” — his teenage son.
View on Facebook to join the chat
The 10 lessons of parenting, according to Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche:
1. Love them even when they are angry with you.
2. Listen to them even when you don’t agree with what they are saying.
3. Talk with them even when it seems they are not listening
4. Don’t keep repeating advice you’ve already given them.
5. Don’t miss opportunities to share spiritual, cultural and ethical values with them.
6. Don’t interrupt your teenager when they are absorbed in what is important to them.
7. Help them find who they are instead of trying to make them you.
8. Keep rules and routines fair and consistent.
9. Don’t make rules for your child from your hurt or anger.
10. Don’t expect your teenager to show the tenderness and affection they did as a child.